St Nicolas church, Armeni – Chania | 01 Oct 2014
35.4500° N, 24.1667° E
St Nicolas is a large and imposing church in the heart of the Armeni village of the Apokoronas province in Chania Crete.
The village was first inhabited after 961 AD by the Armenians serving in the army of Nikiforos Fokas and took its name from them. It is a lush green village with huge plane trees offering invaluable shade during the summer months, a true oasis.
Agios Nikolaos (meaning Saint Nicholas) is the patron saint of sailors and one of the last works of local craftsmen with academic influences.