The Sea Fortress of Heraklion, Crete | 08 Sep 2014
35.3446° N | 25.1368° E
The Venetian fortress of Castello a Mare or Rocca a Mare (Sea Fortress) today known as ‘Koules’ dominates the western entrance to the Venetian harbour of Heraklion, the capital of Crete. This square fortress with the strong thick walls which was built during the 16th-century helped the Venetians to repel the Turks for 21 years. Later and when the city fell and came under the ottoman rule Castello a Mare became a prison for Cretan rebels. Today, three of its walls still hold Venice’s symbol on three marble relief plaques: the winged Lion of St Mark. The interior of the fortress with its 26 restored rooms today is sometimes used to host art exhibits and performances. Koules Fortress, the name that finally prevailed, is derived from the Turkish ‘Su Kulesi’ which means Water Tower. The fortress is one of the most familiar, most visited and beloved monuments of the city both by locals and travelers, one of the dominant structures of the Venetian harbour along with the Arsenals (which stand opposite the fortress) and the landmark of Heraklion.